Thursday 17 March 2011

St. Patrick

My Mom used to say today there's only 2 types of people: "Thems that is Irish and thems that wish they were!"  My Dad is French Canadian - but each year on this day he would wear his knitted green sweater very proudly! (It didn't hurt that his favourite colour is green!)
We have 2 funerals today at Holy Family - so no chance to really celebrate St. Patrick, so I thought I would post my thoughts here.  
On Saturday I posted part of the prayer attributed to St. Patrick. I wanted to reflect on 1 line: Christ to win me.
I don't know about you - but when I am asked to make two columns on a sheet of paper, and write my good qualities on one side and my faults on the other... I seem to fill the "faults" side before I can get 3 entries in the "good" column!  Sunday we will hear in the Gospel how Jesus was Transfigured before Peter, James and John on the mountain top.  We will hear that God speaks of Jesus "This is my beloved,"  and I think we will be challenged to realize that we are Beloved of God.  As I reflect on this line of the Breast-Plate of St. Patrick I am reminded that I might be such a prize - that Christ wins me. That I might be some sort of prize - more valuable than the Lotto Max Jackpot! That Christ might win me - a beloved child of God! Praise to you Lord - King of eternal glory!
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment