Thursday 10 March 2011

Popcorn, Prayer and Preparation

The discipline of fasting has a long history in our faith.  From Biblical times this ancient practice allowed people to consciously focus on self discipline and prepare for a feast.  In more recent times it has come down to the question: "What are you giving up for Lent?"  When I was younger - my Mom decided what we would give up - Dessert! There was no real choice for my Dad, Brother or Sister. Mom made the choice.  In different years I have undertaken to give up different "things" during the season of Lent.  This year my focus is once again on food - but in particular on snacking.  In recent months it was always so easy to end the day - watching a show on TV - and eating a bag of microwave Popcorn. It was a comfortable - but in the end unhealthy - habit (even if it was smart pop!)



The other focus for me this Lent is to undertake more deliberately some spiritual reading. TV is such a passive media form, while reading is more engaging. I recently have been reading "Morning Sun on a White Piano: Simple Pleasures and the Sacramental Life", and one of the chapters spoke convincingly of the benefits of turning off the TV and reading more often.   I hope it will get my reflective juices going and center me during this holy season.  This is a habit I would like to extend beyond the time of Lent!



Preparation: Tomorrow afternoon (March 11 at 1:00 pm) I am playing hockey with the Teaching Staff of Pope John Paul II school in the annual ShareLife Hockey Game vs the students in grade 7 & 8.  No matter who wins - Staff or Students - the real winner is ShareLife - our Catholic Fundraising campaign that allows Catholic Agencies to support the whole community!
Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment