Friday 9 March 2012

A Hockey Week

Another busy week of events in the parish - particularly our parish schools - as they live the Lenten journey!
Two schools have had their annual ShareLife Hockey Game this week.  Thursday afternoon I played on the "Teacher/Parent" team in the Pope John Paul II game.  The student team was pumped up because they had won the Beacon School Championship for Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board. Despite a kind and generous referee - the teachers lost 6-3. I had a penalty shot - but was not able to cash in!  If I was completely honest I would have to also confess I had a nap in the afternoon to recover!  I am really out of shape!

Today the St. Nicholas Students and Teachers/Parents/Spouses played, and although I could not dress (I had Mass at 10 am) I went behind the bench when I arrived.  The score was 4-2 for the students when I took up my post behind the bench  (without a real good Don Cherry Jacket!) and the final score was 7-7. Divine inspiration - or intervention - not sure but it was a fine game. Each of these games offers students a way to support ShareLife while at the same time having an enjoyable outing & competition. Thanks to the Teachers and Administration who work on the organization, and to the parents who come out and play and support the games. 


At St. Michael's - after a big game on Monday - winning ROPSAA Jr. Boys Hockey, the So Just group lead a "Just Fast" Thursaday night.  The students fasted for 25 hours - and they did some reflecting on issues of social justice issues in the afternoon and evening sessions.  Stephanie was with them as they concluded the evening with a liturgy before sleeping over at the school last night.


As we enter March break, we ramp up our own parish ShareLife campaign.  In the coming weeks we will have a speaker and announcements about the important works of ShareLife.  We will also hear about the matching gift plan available in the Archdiocese. God bless our students, Teachers and families for all that they do to raise awareness and funds for ShareLife!
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment