Thursday 8 March 2012

Confirmation Sponsors: What the Heck!?!

Last Thursday night I was with the couples preparing for marriage in our parish, mean while in the church there was a gathering of our Confirmation Candidates, their Parents and their Sponsors.
At one part of the evening - the Sponsors are split off - and do some work with Stephanie about what it means to be a sponsor, how to have an ongoing relationship with their teenage candidate, etc.  One of the questions she asks - is how can you help / support your candidate.  In concrete and practical ways... 
One of the Sponsors suggested "buying liquor" for their candidate!
     Really!?!  Buying Liquor?!? 
          And you are model of what!?!
Dear God - if this is what we have in the "Adults" what are we to expect in our youth!?!


On a completely unrelated matter - I am a complete looser ! I weekly buy up to 10 caffeinated beverages from Canada's most popular coffee chop - but I have yet to win a single thing! 
 
My staff has won.  My friends have won.  I have not.  O poor me!
Peace

2 comments:

  1. It's the Lenten lesson brought to you by Canada's most popular coffee shop.. Perseverence.

    Wow, I think one Confirmation sponsor if very lucky that one Pastor was occupied elsewhere that night.

    It is outrageous isn't it? I had a student in tears today because someone wouldn't let them pass through the breezeway at the cathedral on her way to class...she was told this Cathedral is not part of University, we pay for these doors not the them, find another way...she was entering the building to post a sign about Theology on Tap. And we are made to say "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you under my roof..." really? apparently the Church doesn't think we are worthy to be received under their roof either... Dear God is right!!!
    Peace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it is our youth, our children who minister to us...God uses the youth. That is why your and Stephanie's time with the young people are vital in these trying and perhaps tumultuous times. Hang in there Fr.!!

    ReplyDelete