Sunday 2 October 2011

Sunday Flying

Returning home today from my work in Prince Albert.  The Evangelizing Parish institute was well received and the participants had a real awakening that evangelization is the way we live as disciples - and not so much the words we say. The Bishop of Prince Albert - Most Rev. Albert THÉVENOT - is a wonderfully pastoral man.  He is down to earth, and speaks the truth in plain words.  He has taken seriously the call for input next year's Ordinary Synod of Bishops on the topic of "The New Evangelization."  The Diocese has not only had this Institute, they have also gathered the diocesan pastoral council to consider the questions that the Holy See (Rome) has circulated for input before the beginning of November.  The Institute starts with reflection on 2 portions of the second chapter of the Acts of the Apostles (2:42-47 and 2:1-11) as the source of our passion as disciples.  Then we look at the Beatitudes in Matthew's Gospel as the foundation for Catholic Social Teaching.  If we live Catholic Social Teaching - then we will be evangelizers, drawing others to Christ...
One of the lighter moments in the short 2 day - barely 24 hour institute - is when we invite people to share with one other person something that we would not know about you by looking at you.  I share that I am an Aeroplan Points junkie!  That I would rather fly from Toronto to Saskatoon via Edmonton or Calgary so that I get more points - and in this case it was cheaper... Maybe what I could also share is that I faithfully check out the documentaries inflight.
Flying out I watched a neat pair of lectures on the subject of Moral decision making from a Harvard University professor. Interesting theories on utility and public policy.  If you are flying AC in the near future - check out the documentary channel on the inflight entertainment system!

I write this in the Calgary Airport - waiting for my connecting flight to depart for Toronto. I can see the plane pulling up to the gate now!


Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment