Thursday 16 June 2011

Refugee Committee and a nice reflection...

Last night our Refugee Committee met again. Last month - on May 25, 2011 - we received word from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office in Toronto that we have been approved as a Joint Assistance Sponsorship group, and that we will be offering the Moral Support and resettlement assistance for a Christian family fleeing from persecution in Iraq. The Mother and her 3 children (Son 13, and 2 daughters 7 and 4) and her sister are now living in a Refugee camp in Damascus Syria. These 2 adult sisters also have another adult sister in the Hamilton area. We are even wondering if the unrest in Syria right now will delay or speed up the process!?!
 They have to complete security checks, and medical checks as well... I think that this is the hardest part of offering to sponsor a refugee family - we had to rush our paperwork in and get everything lined up in a row - forms, documents, guarantees, police checks (even of me as the pastor!) and now having hurried up - we now wait!
In the coming Months I will be speaking about the need to offer help and assistance when the family does arrive in Canada. Right now if you are, (or if you know of) a landlord in the Bolton area - who would have apartments (2 or 3 bedroom units) or even a small house that might be suitable for this "family" - please get in touch with the committee at our central email - refugee@holyfamilybolton.ca
 We are hoping for a Month to Month rental - which would last around 4 - 8 months, or even more - as a transition to a permanent - affordable home.

On another note - a parishioner sent the following in an email this morning - and I thought I would share it...


     When I say that 'I am a Christian'  
     I am not shouting that 'I am clean living.
     'I'm whispering 'I was lost,
     but now I'm found and forgiven.'
 
     When I say 'I am a Christian'

     I don't speak of this with pride.
     I'm confessing that I stumble 
     and need Christ to be my guide.
 
     When I say 'I am a Christian'
     I'm not trying to be strong.
     I'm professing that I'm weak 
     and need His strength to carry on.
 
       When I say 'I am a Christian'
     I'm not bragging of success.
     I'm admitting I have failed 
     and need God to clean my mess.
 
     When I say 'I am a Christian'
     I'm not claiming to be perfect.
     My flaws are far too visible, 
     but God believes I am worth it.
 
     When I say 'I am a Christian'
     I still feel the sting of pain.
     I have my share of heartaches, 
     so I call upon His name.
 
     When I say 'I am a Christian'
     I'm not holier than thou, 
     I'm just a simple sinner
     who received God's good grace, somehow!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment