Tuesday 21 April 2020

Second Sunday of Easter

This is the Text of my Homily this past Sunday
(I had some technical issues with my Computer...)


Today we were supposed to have our ShareLife Speaker.
Someone to speak on the good work that Catholic Family Services does throughout our Archdiocese through our donations to ShareLife. I want to thank the many people who have Mailed in or
dropped off donations through the mail slot at the Parish Office over the past weeks.
Thank you!  ShareLife Thanks You!
Over 30 Agencies in all of the 5 regions of the Archdiocese serve 10,000’s each year. Helping each of us to live and proclaim the Gospel!

Today is the Second Sunday of Easter - Also known as Divine Mercy Sunday, and so we will be Live-Streaming Sunday afternoon 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.

I love the Easter Season (for many reasons) because we get to hear daily from the Acts of the Apostles. It runs like a diary of the early Church, detailing all of the things that were going on.
And today we have a very Famous passage - Acts 2:42:
"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers."
This is such an important image of the early Church - our Office of Catholic Youth in the Archdiocese calls their meetings with Youth Ministers "2:42 Meetings"!

As I reflect on this Gospel - Sometimes it feels like everyone is a cynic. Everyone is a sceptic. Thomas who doubted until he could see what the other apostles had seen.
Who of us hasn’t said something like: “I’ll believe it when I see it”? I know about that!  I am sometimes – I am often times  like Thomas!
As I think of this Gospel – I wonder – Where was Thomas?
Why didn’t he stay with the community! And so he missed out.

While we often call him Doubting Thomas, I think he wasn't so bad after all. You and I - we are his twin…
Perhaps we can only pray that someday – Like  Thomas  we can profess Jesus Christ: “My  Lord and my God!”

We should not refer to him as Doubting Thomas, but rather – Believing Thomas – or Proclaiming Thomas!
Our Seeing – Our Believing – that is right here, right now, were we encounter the living Word of God and can proclaim – “My  Lord and my God!”

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment