Friday 28 November 2014

Plates Spinning

When I was growing up I remember my Mom often watched the Mike Douglas show on TV.  It was an afternoon show - 4:30 - 6:00 pm I think. (Like Dr. Phil and Oprah these days.)  For some reason I remember how there was a performer on this variety / interview show that would spin plates on long thin poles that were fixed to a beam. It has been a full week.  With the Death of Robert Gordon, and the end of the Liturgical year, I feel like there have been many "Plates" to keep spinning!

Monday afternoon (Ususally my day off) was occupied with meetings about a project that is underway in the parish, as well as a meeting after mass for the same project.

Tuesday saw Morning Mass at the parish, Mass at St. Michael's in the afternoon with 2 grade 9 classes, 3 Appointments, and the Caledon Community Services Board Meeting! In between all these - I visited a parishioner at the Hospital who had a hip replacement - I am happy to report that Barb - from the 10:00 am Mass is doing very well!

Wednesday Started with our annual joint Zone meeting with the Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board (DPCDSB) Personnel.  The Archdiocese is divided into Zones - Pastoral regions where priests and lay workers meet together to discuss and address Pastoral concerns.  Each year Bishop Boissonneau arranges a meeting with the priests in Zone 9 (Brampton-Caledon) and Zone 10 (Mississauga) and the DPCDSB. So that took up the morning - then I travelled across the diocese to Markham to pick up our Advent Wreath Candles, then I went downtown to the Archdiocese office to be part of the St. Michael's Choir School Advisory Board which I have been on for years (even though I am not a really great singer!), then travelled back through rush hour traffic - and took longer than the GPS expected - to make it for Mass at 7:00 (Just in time) then a Wedding Rehearsal, and another appointment!

After the Funeral & reception on Thursday, I went to the Hospital in Newmarket to visit a parishioner - a Daily Mass Attender - who is going to have Triple Bipass surgery - now scheduled for Tuesday. I also was able to see a friend in the Hospital who was having a follow up proceedure from an operation last month! I was back for an appointment with a couple for Baptism of their infant, and then the Parent Meeting about reconciliation.

So I have to say that after Mass this morning, the wedding this afternoon, and picking up the Advent Wreath greenery - I was very glad to head to the Airport to pick up Fr. David - who has arrived back from his visit to Kenya!  It sounds like he had a terrific time and appreciated some time with his Mom.

None of the plates has come crashing down! At least not yet.
As we head into Advent - maybe this is a time to look at the plates we feel we have to spin - and ask ourselves - "Do we really need to have all these plates spinning...?" 

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment