Saturday 12 October 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Now my brother in law (Ian) has started to get on my case about the lack of a Blog entry for almost a month!  Usually it is Stephanie who is all over me about that!

I had 2 weeks of holidays where I visited Barcelona, Avignon, Nimes, Reims and ended in Paris.  Barcelona is home to a magnificent church that has been under construction since the early 1900's and is still not expected to be complete until 2026!  Sagrada Familia (Holy Family!) was designed by the famous architect Gaudi, and the roof was closed in only 3 years ago - when Pope Benedict consecrated it as a Basilica.  



It was a great visit.  Maybe I'll get back there for the completion - planned in 2026! 

My Dad, Fr. Scott, and a few friends then travelled to Southern France - Avignon and Nimes.  In the 1300's there were 7 Popes who lived in Avignon (The time period called the Avignon Papacy in History classes).  We visited the "Palace" and the "Pont-d'Avignon" made famous in song.


We stayed in Nimes - which has one of the best preserved Arena's from Roman Times (Smaller - but better preserved than the Coliseum in Rome.)  Nimes was actually an important Roman city in the time of Jesus - and was a "Northern Frontier" city.

Then we travelled North to Reims the centre of the Champagne District - and the place where Clovis - the King of the Francs was Baptized on Christmas Day 498.  (So much for RCIA and Easter Sacraments!)  The trip ended in Paris - and people came home over the last few days in dribs and drabs! 
A great time was had by all - especially me - since often people were picking up the tab for my meals - as a Birthday Present!

The ability to travel, to see the world, and to enjoy family and friends - a few of the many things I am grateful for this Thanksgiving!
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment