Sunday 7 July 2013

How did we get here?

How did we get here? 
How do we get back to the Table?
The question is not about a mode of transportation - Plane, Train, or Automobile... Rather it is a question about how we have come to the point where we are celebrating Sacraments with those who are unconnected, or only Tangentially connected ... coming maybe once a month. 
Sacraments are an outward sign of an interior reality - and yet these moments of conversion – interior change seem to be boiling down to outward experiences:  Dress/Suit, Gowns, parties & presents.

Archbishop Daniel Bohan was a priest of Moncton, New Brunswick, and was appointed an Auxilliary Bishop in Toronto (for the northern region) and then in 2005 named as the Archbishop of Regina.  At a meeting with Priests and Pastoral workers in Simcoe County he said on this matter: As long as we are Confirming those people without a connection to the Eucharist, we will always have listless parishes.
Why raise this issue now? Because those in the pews in the midst of Summer are connected…  and I want to start a conversation – Like Jesus sent people out in pairs, I want to challenge you to influence those back yard conversations around your summer BBQ’s and pools, at the tables & fire pits of our lives.
So that we can, so that you can ask: "What is going on here?"

When we wake up in the morning we do not ask the question:
"Will I eat today?"  NO - We ask the question: "When will I eat? What will we eat?"How can we invite people to look at Sunday and not ask IF we will go to church, but rather:  "When will we come to church? How will we get to church?
Ultimately its about how do we all get back to the Table?

I invite you to continue this conversation: 
send me an Email - Fr.Larry@holyfamilybolton.ca
or post a comment in this Blog.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Being a teacher in a Catholic school for the last 25 years it has concerned me that the majority of my students only attend Mass with some regularly in the months before the sacrament they are preparing for and then after I rarely see them at Mass.
    I feel that I should be doing more in the classroom to encourage regular attendance at mass. Although the children cannot be held responsible, they can influence their parents. I am also aware that I must be careful to seem judgemental and critical. So the key is gentle nudging. For myself, I feel the need to attend Mass regularly. Mass keeps me grounded, reminds me of what is important and inspires me to be a better me. When I don't attend Mass I feel that something is missing. But this is so because I attend mass regularly. This would probably not be true if my attendance was more sporadic. I guess this is the point of the homily - people who attend mass feel connected at whatever stage the are in their faith journey. The first step is to make that connection to make the effort. How do we get the families to church ?
    Perhaps the church can play of a presence in the schools ? Perhaps the students in our community who do not attend school directly across the street from the church could be shuttled by bus to a weekday mass a few times a year. The students were able to go skating 3 times for $10 which included the cost of skating so I don't imagine that a bus to church would be more. This could be attempted by grade or by division. This might be worth a try even if resistances arises from administration or teaching staff. The more familiar the children become with the inside of the church the more connected they are likely to feel.
    Perhaps those of us who do feel the connection need to find the courage to ask the question of our friends. What stops you from going to Mass ? Would you like to come to Mass with me ?

    I think that getting back to the table is essential for our community and in fact the world. If everyone could try follow the teachings of Christ just once a day... think of possibilities ... kindness, peace, joy, sense of belonging, better mental health. That's my blogs, I would love to read others' comments

    ReplyDelete