Wednesday 13 March 2013

Habemus Papam - We have a Pope

We had White Smoke around 2:00 and I had just finished saying to Lydia - our secretary that something was up.  The smoke was taking longer than it should have - this was a sign that it might be white!


We had bells that began to ring - the verification that the smoke was really white. 

So we closed the office - and went to the Rectory - and got the Champagne ready.  As we waited I was texting Stephanie - who had attended a funeral this morning - and my Dad.  


Well the announcement came from the Senior cardinal Deacon:
Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum:
 Habemus Papam!
Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum, 
Dominum Jorge Mario Sanctæ Romanæ Ecclesiæ Cardinalem Bergoglio, 
Qui sibi nomen imposuit Francis I.


In English - 
I announce to you a great joy:
 We have a Pope!
 The most eminent and most reverend Lord, 
Lord Jorge Mario Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church Bergoglio,
 Who takes for himself the name of Francis I
Then, while we waited to see him, I tried searching for information about this Cardinal Archbishop of Buenos Aires - and many of the search engines were slow in responding - the whole world was searching for information on the background of the new Pope! He has served as the Bishop of Buenos Aires since 1998 and became a Cardinal in 2001.  (It is rumored that he was a strong candidate in the Conclave of 2005 that elected Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger!)

We were excited and toasted the New Pope! Champagne and wine! When he came out on the Balcony - you could feel his humility. This is a man who asked that the money for celebrating his elevation to the College of Cardinals should rather be spent on the poor!  Then he asked for people to pray that the Lord would Bless him before he Blessed them - WOW!  



For me it is most powerful that he has chosen the name Francis!  A simple and powerful sign of the kind of man he is - and the Pope he wants to become. Here is a biography the 266th Pope!

Here are the first words of the New Pope:

Brothers and sisters good evening. You all know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome. It seems that my brother Cardinals have gone almost to the ends of the earth to get him… but here we are. I thank you for the welcome that has come from the diocesan community of Rome.First of all I would like to say a prayer, pray for our Bishop Emeritus Benedict XVI. Let us all pray together for him, that the Lord will bless him and that our Lady will protect him.  Our Father…  Hail Mary…  Glory to the Father…
And now let us begin this journey, the Bishop and the people, this journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches, a journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world that there might be a great sense of brotherhood. My hope is that this journey of the Church that we begin today, together with the help of my Cardinal Vicar, may be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city.
And now I would like to give the blessing. But first I want to ask you a favour. Before the Bishop blesses the people I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me – the prayer of the people for their Bishop. Let us say this prayer – your prayer for me – in silence. 
I will now give my blessing to you and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will.
Then the blessing followed 
Brothers and sisters, I am leaving you. Thank you for your welcome. Pray for me and I will be with you again soon... We will see one another soon. Tomorrow I want to go to pray to the Madonna, that she may protect Rome.Good night and sleep well!

Finally - here is the announcement from the the archdiocese of Toronto:
It is with deep gratitude that the Catholic community of the Archdiocese of Toronto in union with our Archbishop, Cardinal Thomas Collins, extends its sincere congratulations and prayers to the new pope chosen to lead our universal Church, His Holiness, Pope Francis I, who was elected earlier today through the prayerful reflection and deliberation of the Cardinal electors of the world under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
We pray for the spiritual strength, wisdom and humble example of our new Holy Father, the successor of St. Peter. As Catholics united in this apostolic faith in the many diverse parish communities within the Archdiocese of Toronto, we look forward to growing in our witness to Jesus Christ under the leadership of Pope Francis I. Through his ministry of sanctification, teaching and pastoral governance we are confident that as the Successor of St. Peter he will guide the Church for years to come.
We are also grateful for the careful discernment of the College of Cardinals and in particular the participation of Cardinal Collins and the Canadian Cardinals in the election of Pope Francis I.  Their leadership inspired by the Holy Spirit has helped to guide the way forward for the Roman Catholic Church in the years ahead. We pray for the Cardinals as they prepare for the Holy Father’s Inauguration of Petrine Ministry and their return to their respective homes for the coming Holy Week.

Peace in these Awesome times!

No comments:

Post a Comment