Sunday 30 December 2012

Feast of the Holy Family


Happy Feast Day…

What parent would not be beside themselves
     When a child goes missing from their side:
In the Store – Mall – Arena -
The Teenage Jesus is lost in this Sunday's Gospel: but not really!

Mary and Joseph are looking for him for 3 days (an allusion to the cross!) and Jesus asks: "why are you distressed?"
This is not Jesus giving lip to his mother and Joseph, perhaps it was more like: Look for me HERE – first!

This past week I had the chance to spend time together with Family, making the trek to Kingston  – where my Dad lives now. (Thanks to my brother-in-law for the driving!)
All of us were talking in the living room after presents, meal, more presents, and dessert – then Gabriel and Michael (my 2 nephews) were put to bed by my brother in law and my sister in law.  But they never resurfaced! So it was just 4 of us (those inlaws have no staying power!) Then Dad went to bed - so it was just Chris, Julie and I: the 3 kids! Then just Chris and I... talking and reflecting late into the night... but it was not always so…  Chris and I used to fight like the dickens!

Certainly - Family is where we experience the Highs & Lows in life. Pleasures & Pains. Both Joys & Sorrows.  Yet when we feel that anger or frustration – that can be a flag to remind us - 
"They Matter – I love them…"

How can the Holy family be a model for our Family?
Fidelity in the face of ridicule and turmoil,
Hope in the face of despair,
and Love in the face of violence.
Faith // Hope // Love //   and the Greatest of these is Love!
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment