Wednesday 31 October 2012

Hurricanes Outside and Inside!

While we have all heard of Hurricane Sandy - and dealt with winds on the outside - so to speak, there have been strong winds on the "inside" of my life these days too.  I think that this photo is an indicator of this... Here are 4 sets of Shoes that are hanging out in the sitting area of my room at the rectory.  From top to bottom:

  • Brown pair - worn with brown pants earlier this weekend.  
  • Black regular pair - worn at the Wedding Saturday
  • Black "dress" pair - worn at the two funerals this week!
  • Running shoes taken for the Lifeteen outing at the Circus School on Saturday night but never worn!
All of these not put away, for a couple of reasons: our housekeeper is sick right now, and I feel like I am just keeping up with things!  I know it takes just a few minutes - so these were put away right after I took the picture.  I felt this was just the right image to indicate the type of week its been!

I have 3 friends (from the Chicago 6) who have been Struggling with the "Outside Winds" of hurricane Sandy:
  • Fr. Rick in Andover - just north of Boston - lost power in his Church rectory for 24 hours and lost a big pine tree behind the Rectory - next to the Church.
  • Rita Ferrone - who lives in Mount Vernon - just north New York City - lost power Monday evening and it is still not on.  She is safe - in a 6th floor apartment, but has gone over to her Sister's place - also in the Suburbs of New York, where the power is on at the present time...
  • Jim Sullivan - the widower of Margie who died in March - lives in Norfolk Virginia, where he sent this email message from:
... the wind and rain have abated a bit but the backside of a hurricane is always messy. It is always nice not to be at sea but on land during these events. I have paid my dues with typhoon, green water and rolling, pitching ships plus seasickness. I have not lost power. There is plenty of disruption, flooding, damage and schedule chaos but so far no deaths due to the storm. I didn't sleep past 4 AM last night due to anxieties about storm status and being alone in a creaking house so be prepared for the silence and new noises...
We lost 2 Garbage cans at the church and our "garbage shelter" was blown apart and was in pieces all over the property! We put it back together yesterday - but have not found the garbage cans that were inside them!
Inside wind - Outside winds - all moving things around!
Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment