Sunday 8 May 2011

OHL Hockey - A Godfather's Duty!

I have known the Rankin family since 1979, when my family moved into Blessed Trinity Parish.  Bill Rankin was the Permanent Deacon there, his wife Yvette was on the Liturgy Committee, and I came to know their daughter Maureen when she and I were youth representatives on the Parish Council. Maureen and I have remained great friends ever since, and in 1990 Maureen married Emil Schemitsch. Over the years they have had 4 children: Laura, Geoffrey, Christine, and Thomas.  I am the Godfather to both Geoffrey and Thomas, and I celebrated the Baptism of Christine!
Both Geoffrey and Thomas are hockey players - while the girls dance. Geoffrey has been playing defense with the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) since last season.  A year ago April he was selected to be part of the Canada under 18 team that played in the IIHF Championship in Belarus (in part of the former Soviet Union!)  It was in the 2010 NHL Draft that Geoffrey was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning.  On my desk in the office, I still have the team hat Geoffrey received from Tampa Bay last year.
This year the Attack are doing quite well, and are the OHL Western Conference Champions.  They are playing the Mississauga St. Mikes Majors for the OHL crown.  
The Memorial Cup (which is the Canadian Junior Hockey Championship)  has the lst place teams from each of the 3 Junior hockey leagues in Canada: the Western Hockey League, the Quebec Hockey League, and the OHL) An interesting thing is that since Mississauga is the host for this year's Memorial Cup - they are also invited - so it means that automatically the second place team in the OHL finals also goes to the Memorial Cup.  So both Mississauga and Owen Sound are going to the Memorial Cup this May 19-29.
Friday Night I was able to go to game 3 of the OHL finals held in Mississauga.  John Castellucci from the parish heard that my Godson was playing in the OHL Finals and went and got tickets for the two of us.  While there I met a priest who used to live in Blessed Trinity Parish years ago - when I was in High School.  The Attack defeated the St. Mikes Majors 6-5 in overtime.  I tell you it was a terrific game, exciting and nail biting at the same time! 
Today I am off to meet Maureen and Emil and drive up with them to Owen Sound to see game 4 at 4:30 this afternoon.  It will be on TV - on Sports Net Ontario!  I'll be wearing my white clerical shirt!
Go Attack Go!!!
I know this is not so religious a post - maybe simply personal - but it is my Godfatherly duty!  O, the burdens of office!
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment