Thursday 17 April 2014

Holy Thursday 2014

We have entered our Three holy days - our Paschal Triduum.
It is always an impressive thing - to wash the feet of so many people at this Holy Thursday Liturgy.  It would be easier is I weighed a few less pounds... 
I have shared before the fact that I try not to look up when I am washing feet during this liturgy, and I think that this is because of the reflection found in a book "Finding Jesus" - a reflection on the Bowl that Christ used in washing the feet of his Disciples and the sanctity of service… I share this again this year:

If I had to choose some relic of the Passion 
I wouldn’t pick up a scourge or a spear, 
   but that round bowl of dirty water.
And I would want to go around the world 
   with that receptacle under my arm 
   looking only at people’s feet; 
and for each one I’d tie a towel around me 
   bend down, and never raise my eyes 
   higher than their ankles 
      so as not to distinguish friends from enemies
I’d wash the feet of Atheists, 
   drug addicts, arms dealers, 
   murders, pimps and abusers of all kinds 
      - and all in silence until they understood
I am a witness 
   so people can point to me and say: 
   "There it is, there is faith in operation, 
      there is a believer, 
      there is the holy operating in another human being.
It is the guy 
   with the bowl of dirty water in his hands." 

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment