Friday 14 June 2013

Sleeping Patterns

The last week or 2 I have had weird and crazy sleeping patterns - Waking early - and then not being able to get back to sleep - then dragging myself around 4pm each afternoon... I think that is why this quote from Max Lucato struck me.
Millions of  people in North America have trouble sleeping!  You may be one of them. Only one other living creature has as much trouble resting as we do.  They are woolly, simpleminded, and slow…sheep. Sheep can’t sleep!  For sheep to sleep, everything must be just right. No predators. No tension in the flock.  Sheep need help.  They need a shepherd to “lead them” and help them “lie down in green pastures.” Without a shepherd, they can’t rest.
Without a shepherd, neither can we!  Psalm 23:2 says, “He, (the Shepherd) makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.”  Who’s the active one?  Who’s in charge? The Shepherd!  With our eyes on the Shepherd, we’ll get some sleep. Isaiah 26:3 reminds us of the promise,  “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You.”
Max Lucato is the Pastor of a "Community Church" and is the authour of some children's books, and a daily Email - "Up Words" that I read on occasion (usually because a friend forwards it to me!) I visited the Church that Max is the Pastor of one Sunday Morning when I visited San Antonio years ago (I went to the Catholic Cathedral Sunday Evening!)  He is a marvelous preacher - with a gift for making the scriptures come alive in his homilies. 
Peace

1 comment:

  1. Thank God for our Shepherds who keep watch over us especially during the turbulent times. We are grateful that you are keeping a eye out for the dangers and constantly warding off the wolves through prayer, celebration of the Holy Eucharist, ministering of the sacraments, and having the God given foresight in guiding us diligently toward our Creator. Thanks to all our beloved Priests!

    ReplyDelete