Tuesday 21 February 2012

Highs and lows - on the eve of Lent

This past Monday, as we celebrated Family Day in Ontario, I traveled out to Oshawa to see My Godson's hockey team - the Oshawa Generals play in the afternoon.  When I saw him play in Mississauga 10 days ago, he was hurt in the third period.  Geoffrey is still recovering from that pinch to the ribs, so he was sitting out this game, but I still wanted to go out to Oshawa, and spend some time with him.  The Generals lost to the Barrie Colts, and Geoffrey's Family all came out after the Game and we went to dinner.  It was a relaxing and enjoyable evening.  I think Geoffrey should be back in the line up this coming weekend as they make a road trip to the US - playing Saginaw and Plymouth in Michigan.


Tuesday Morning I traveled down to Holy Name parish on the Danforth for the Funeral of Fr. Tom McKillop.  Fr. Tom was 84 years old and was the instrumental priest in the formation of "Youth Corps" in the archdiocese of Toronto in the 1960's.  I would say that modern day youth ministers owe their positions in church to Fr. Tom.  He was the one who moved the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) from sports and dances to outreach and mission.  He put a depth to the organization - called it Youth Corps - and transformed thousands of young people into committed Catholics.  It was because of Fr. Tom that I got to meet Mother Teresa in the locker room / changing room at Varsity Stadium in 1981 when I was a young Teenage Volunteer at the Youth Corps Event.


As we prepare for Lent, purple is awash in the Church, and Palms have been burned to create ashes for services in our Schools and Parish tomorrow.  
May we know the depth of the Lord's Love as we travel these 40 Days of Lent in preparation for the Baptism of our Catechumen - Chris, and the renewal of our own Baptism at Easter.
Peace

1 comment:

  1. Hey you! I am so sorry to read about Fr. Tom..I missed that completely. I was honoured to have been at the ceremony at Rideau Hall when he was appointed to the order of Canada. It was the same ceremony in which our Sr. Dorothy Mooore was appointed.
    You were part of CYO??? it was pretty flat at my parish as a teen...
    Nice blog
    peace!!!

    ReplyDelete